There is an episode of the Simpsons where Marge’s sisters mind Bart & Lisa. When Homer arrives to collect them they rush to him and cling to his shins, and he has to walk out with them still clinging on like cricket pads.
Mrs Tin returns home tonight and may well receive a similar welcome from the Tinkids, as they look forward to dinners which contain fresh vegetables, and which don’t loosen their fillings or taste predominantly of black.
Ok, I’ve tried to be cynical about the week and paint it as a week of endless drudgery and domestic incompetence, but here’s what really happened.
1. I got to get up two hours later than usual each morning (which meant I got up in daylight);
2. On Tuesday I read my newspaper sitting in the sunshine;
3. I drove Tingirl to school each morning, and therefore had 30 minutes of chat with her that I rarely get;
4. Today is Tinson2’s birthday, and I hadn’t already left for work when he woke;
5. I read an entire book;
6. I cooked for my children, and got to hear them say “thanks”, and sometimes “that was really good”, and I have decided to ignore the slight hint of surprise in their voices whenever they said it.
In other words, I’ve had a great time.
Having said that, I’m really looking forward to work next week.